Archive for August 2009
The summer may be nearing its end but there are still great deals to be had! Below are some special events and event venues that are cool in temperature and in price!
*Cool Deals-Event Venues*
- Denton Water Works Park: You can have a party at the water park through the end of August starting at just $175. The party packages include 1 hour in the party pavilion (hello shade!), a party host/hostess (to clean up after you!), cake, paper goods, drinks and a souvenier photo. Outside food is allowed but no alcohol.
- Denton Natatorium: The Natatorium is available for parties year-round since it is indoors and you can have it all to yourself on Saturdays or Sundays from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Rental rates start at $250 and include use of the leisure pool, competition pool, water slide and party room. Outside food is allowed but no alcohol.
- Lake Dallas City Hall Community Room: Many people just view City Hall as “the police station” but tucked in the back is a great space for parties, receptions, showers, etc! The room has the capacity for 200 people, special lighting, tables/chairs, a commercial kitchen and a sound system. Rates start at $30/hour with a $300 deposit, $200 of which is returned to you after your party if you leave the place in one piece. No alcohol allowed.
- Comfort Inn-Corinth: This new hotel has a banquet room that can accomodate 70 people as well as great group room rates. Some of the hotel features include an outdoor firepit perfect for s’mores, an indoor pool and jacuzzi, exercise room, free weekday happy hours, free Wi-Fi, a free, elaborate breakfast and rooms with flat screen TVs.
*Cool Deals-Upcoming Events*
- Trivitt-Deitrick Garage Sale: A garage sale counts as a “special event” you ask? When it’s a garage sale with my stuff and my parent’s stuff YOU BET! The sale will be on Friday, Aug. 21st and Saturday, Aug. 22nd from 8 am – noon at 306 Owenoaks Drive in Lake Dallas (Jackson Ranch Neighborhood). It’s a great “back to school” shopping opportunity! There will be brand name clothes, baby items, kitchen/housewares and more! E-mail me if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waterfest at Willow Grove: Waterfest (Sept. 12-13) is a combination of the SuperCourse Nationals (a national jet ski race) and a festival featuring kid’s activities, live music (Beatle’s Tribute Band A Hard Night’s Day), great food and lots of outdoor recreation type vendors. It’s at beautiful Willow Grove Park (800 E. Hundley, Lake Dallas) right on the shores of Lake Lewisville. Click on the link for event hours and the schedule.
- North Texas State Fair & Rodeo: Aug. 21-29 you can check out the fair and rodeo at 2217 N. Carroll Blvd. in Denton. Big-name country artists will take the stage, there are plenty of activities for the kids, carnival rides, the livestock shows, exhibitors and of course the rodeo! Tickets are $12/adult, $5/children and $5 to park but ticket prices include concerts and rodeo.
- The Heard Natural Science Museum: Through the end of August, you can get 1 free child admission with each $8 paid adult admission at The Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary in McKinney. Currently, the special exhibits are Treasures from the Earth, Native Texas Butterflies, and Animals of the World. Great, affordable fun for kids AND adults! (This also is technically a cool event SPACE because they have facilities you can rent for special occasions).
I hope these ideas help you stay cool for the rest of the summer and into the fall as well as help keep your credit card cool from not swiping it too much! 🙂 Keep me and Something to Celebrate in mind as you plan the special events in your life–I’m here to relieve the stress of planning a major event and save you some money in the process!
It’s Comment Time! Tell me your favorite way (place, activity, etc) to stay cool affordably in the summer/early fall.