Archive for October 2009
Can you believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner?!? During the holiday season I think it is SO easy to get wrapped up (pardon the pun) in holiday preparations that we miss the whole meaning of the holiday. I will refrain from talking about Christmas since I think Thanksgiving is often bypassed to soon. Instead I want to focus this post on truly meaningful ways to be thankful, give to others and spend quality time with your family.
- Realize all that God has blessed you with (really think about this–do you have air conditioning/heating in your home, food in your fridge and clothes to wear? You are blessed!)
- Take time to thank specific family or friends who are a blessing to you whether they listen to you vent, watch your kids at the drop of a hat, or are just there when you need them no matter what. I think it’s so important to always let those people know you love them because you never know when you’ll have another opportunity to say so.
- Teach your children a way to be thankful or ask them what they are thankful for. Give them the opportunity to say “thank you” to someone.
Giving to Others
- Lake Cities Food Pantry: The food pantry (located inside Lake Cities United Methodist Church) is currently serving 50 families a week which is quite an increase over the number they were serving this time last year. The shelves in the pantry are running low and they are approaching a very busy time of the year for food needs so please donate any of the following items if you have them:
-Spaghetti O’s & Ravioli
-Granola or Snack Bars
-Personal Items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, Shampoo or soap
-And of course, any canned veggie or soup
- Community Aid Fund: This fund helps individuals and families in the Lake Cities area with common but necessary expenses such as utility bills and prescription medicines. The fund is housed at the Lake Cities United Methodist Church–click on the link for donation information.
- Lake Cities Spirit of Christmas: This organization holds several events throughout the year to raise money in order to give disadvantaged children a wonderful Christmas. They are putting together Thanksgiving food boxes for these families this year and could use any food items you can donate. They are also in need of good coats to give to families this Christmas. If you have any you can donate, please take them to any Dry Cleaners in the Lake Cities area. Just let the dry cleaner know that the coat is for the LC Spirit of Christmas. Also, don’t miss the Spirit of Christmas bake sale Nov. 14th at 1:00 pm in the Aaron’s parking lot on FM 2181 (Hickory Creek)!
Quality Time with Family & Friends
- Corinth Comfort Inn: Check out the following specials for guests you have traveling to this area (or you just want a night out of the house!)–
WINTER HOLIDAY SPECIAL: STAY 3 NIGHTS GET THE 4TH FREE, Extend stay to 7 nights and get a free night and a FREE upgrade to a Suite. Rates starting at $69.99 per night. Offer good November 1, 2009-January 31, 2010. Stay includes deluxe hot breakfast bar each day, use of indoor pool and hot tub, Business Center, and Guest Laundry. Reference Code: Winter09
SCENTSY PARTY: The Comfort Inn is hosting a Scentsy party, just in time for the holidays! A Scentsy is a wickless candle that makes a great gift for everyone on your list. Lite snacks and drinks will be served at this special party. Please call 940-497-6300 for more info on party dates and to RSVP.
NEW YEARS EVE SPECIAL: Stay December 31, 2009 and ring in the New Year with a complimentary bottle of Champagne. Rates starting at $89.99 per night. Must book November 1, 2009-December 28, 2009. Celebrate privately or come down to the Lobby to ring in 2010 and enjoy complimentary drinks and appetizers. New Years Day enjoy a late, hot breakfast bar complete with Mimosa’s and black eye peas for good luck. December 29-December 31. Reference Code: NYE2010
MAKE IT A FAMILY AFFAIR! December 31, 2009, our beautiful meeting/banquet room will be transformed to host our tiniest guests with a party of their own. The evening will start out with party games and a karaoke contest and end with a fun, holiday movie. Sparkling Cider and finger foods will be provided. Sleeping bags are welcome. This is an add on package to the New Years Special. $10 per child. Minimum age 5 to participate. Parents must remain on hotel site. MUST RSVP BETWEEN NOVEMBER 1, 2009- DECEMBER 21, 2009. Reference Code: FAM2010
- Excite Gym: This great place for kids has some fun holiday activities coming up and they’re a great way for your kids to release some pent-up energy!
-Sugar Plum Fairy Camp: Nov. 14th, Flower Mound location, 12:30-2:00pm, ages 4-10. Dance like a Nutcraker Princess, pictures with the Sugar Plum Fairy & a 10 minute show-off at the end of camp. $18 members, $23 non-members, must enroll 48 hours in advance.
-Turkey Trampoline Camp: Nov. 23rd & 24th, Highland Village location, 1:30-2:30pm, ages 4 & up. Kids will learn all kinds of fun skills and games for the trampoline and in tumbling. $18/members, $23/non-members, must enroll 48 hours in advance.
-Turkey Camps: Nov. 23rd, 24th & 25th, Highland Village location. Enjoy, games, crafts and gym play. Ages 3 (potty trained) to 11 yrs, 9:30-1:00pm, $23/members, $25/non-members, 8:30-9:30am early extension $5, 1:00-4:00pm movies & open gym- extension $10 (no extension on the 25th).
-Holiday Day Play: Nov. 24th, 10:00-11:00am at FM. For all enrolled preschoolers ages potty trained & up. Parents required to actively participate. FREE for members & $5/non-members.
- Holiday Parties: Book everything for your holiday party NOW to get the best rates! The Comfort and Suites, Corinth is now welcoming your holiday party with special event offers and guest accommodations. With over 1,000 square ft. of event space and a friendly staff, the Comfort Inn and Suites is making holiday planning easy. Whether you require catering or would like to provide your own, they help make your holiday party plans easy and stress free. For reservations, or to schedule your holiday party, please call and ask for Special Events Sales at 940-497-6300.
- Holiday Entertainment: Plan B (the hottest variety band in the Dallas area!) has some special rates for November and December so let me know if you need some great music for your holiday or family gathering, office/organizational party or corporate function. My gift to you will be booking Plan B for your event–no charge for my services! Call me at 940-390-7429 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info about Plan B.
When you give to someone else you always receive a bigger blessing than you’d expect. Jesus was pretty right on when He said “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Have a wonderful ThanksGIVING!